Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Luigi's ... what a pleasant surprise!





CONSTANCE: Luigi's ... 20 wings + 20 pieces of pizza for $20 = priceless! It was a long day for us Amish. I know Mathias brings out our persona's more than I do, but I thought I'd try. Props for that?

We were up with the roosters for an early Bike Around the Bay ride. It was my first time on the bike this year, and it looked like rain and I was semi-disappointed thinking we wouldn't be able to ride. But it turned out to be a beautiful day and ride (till about 1 p.m. that is!). We had signed up for the 50-mile and maybe I could have done it, but after climbing the Waldameer hill with my rehab-ed knee, and I sat the whole way up too ... I defaulted with the 30-mile ride. I felt that we had totally earned our pizza and wings this week!

I haven't been back to Luigi's since I worked for a company at 12th and Plum Streets in the 90s. A lunch bunch would go up pretty regularly and what I remembered was their square slices. You could order lunch by the slice with whatever toppings you would like. Kinda different then ... and now!

When Mathias found a coupon in the phone book (you might be wondering how Amish have phone books?) we were so excited. I had remembered their sausage as being sliced so I picked the za topping and Mathias picked our wings. Parmesan Ranch. I took a late shower and my hair was still wet (I'm so vein, I bet I think this blog is about me!), so Mathias just went into the bar directly to pick up our za and wings.

Apparently, I missed quite the show! He can tell you all about that.

From the first bite of pizza I was transported back in time and remembered why I loved their pizza so much. The sauce is a little on the tart side but very substantial. Mini-chunky I guess you'd say. The cheese - delicious, and yes, the sliced sausage had tremendous flavor. It was square like my favorite hometown pizza too. With crispy crust.

The wings were the most unusual we've had since writing this blog, well in my lifetime actually. They drizzled the Parmesan cheese all over them. The photo doesn't do it justice. Trust me - to die for!

We'll definitely be back, and hope you enjoy as much as we did if you go. Be sure to clip the 20 + 20 = $20 coupon outta the phone book too.

The 411:

Luigi's
1801 Liberty Street
455.9541

No comments:

Post a Comment