Friday, March 27, 2009

Mmmmm, Viva Calamari's!!





Mathias: Okay, I've been the slacker in the couple these last few weeks and Constance has been the vigilant one. So, to pick up the slack, I'm going to blather on for a little bit here.

So me and my main Amish squeeze Constance were invited to a retirement party for our friend's mom. The setting was at Calamari's Squid Row; Constance has been there numerous times for work and I've been there a few times, most notably the one day last year when the Bar Stool Open was in full force and someone launched a Titlist at my Amish noggin.

Anyway, it was announced that the food was ready and after I threw some elbows, we had a plate full of pizza and wings. It was some standard cheese and pepperoni-the little round ones that curl up when you cook it. The wings were Honey Mustard, Buffalo and some dry type I didn't load up on. I didn't want to violate the deadly sin of gluttony so I only pigged out on two of the three flavors. Later, the staff brought out what turned out to be my new favorite pizza in town, the White Pizza.

First, the wings were bigger than most of the wings we've picked up at the local pizza joints and were right out of the oven (or deep fryer, whatever?). The buffalo were super tangy and spicy and the honey mustard were sweet and sassy. Both wings were some of the best I've had in town; I may have eaten some of the bone just to get some more of the flavor.

But, hands down, the White Pizza was the best I've had in years, if not ever. It was made with olive oil, mozzarella, basil and tomato slices. It was a standard bakery crust but mmmmmmm, that was the best pizza I've had. I mentioned to Constance that we'll have to actually order an entire White Pizza from Calamari's and take home some night. Clearly, the pizza and wings from Calamari's tonight was an easy 8 out of 8 slices; sad thing was that we didn't get a chance to sneak some home for Saturday morning breakfast.

CONSTANCE: ROAD TRIP! EriePizzaAndWings goes on the road to a retirement part at Calamari's! Mathias forgot to mention that Elvis was in the house and his performance was amazing! I am typically not a fan of honey mustard wings, but to echo Mathias's review, they were finger licking good. I'd give Calamari's an 8 out of 8 slice review too. I am just missing Saturday a.m. leftovers!

Not sure what next week holds, but we'll have all week to think about it and discover something new! We're always watching for coupons and deals of the day. See you next week ... bueno mangiare (let's hope the Google English to Italian translations are accurate with this one!).

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! How about a review of my absolute favorite...Patti's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mathias: It's time for Patti's Pizza then. I've had their pizza many times and have always enjoyed it. Next Friday we have a date with Patti!!!

    ReplyDelete