Saturday, April 4, 2009

A $4 pizza ... the stuff urban legands are made of!


CONSTANCE: This week is another unique week and we'll be doing two blogs. Last night was a plan "B" night because it got so late and we were starving; so we'll do plan "A" tonight.

Our plan "B" last night was Quality Markets at 38th & Liberty Streets and their Buffalo chicken wing pizza. Ironic because Quality was our plan "A" a few weeks back! So we called in our order to the deli, which I'd highly recommend. We were told 20 minutes on a busy Friday night ... acceptable. We actually had an errand to do in advance of the pick up and I think we were running a bit behind.

The cashier-chef, Candy, is a regular at the deli and she's the best maker of the Buffalo chicken wing pizzas, so if you can, ask for her. She recognized me and then tentatively explained there was a delay with making our pizza and we'd need to wait about 20 more minutes. As a trade off and good customer service, she said we could have the pizza at the regular pizza special price of $5.99 for Friday or Saturday nights. Done deal! We had some shopping to do anyways, so not a big deal.

We got our Easter Smith's ham. Incidentally, I've learned that although Smith's ham is a higher cost per pound, it's all meat!! The other "value priced" hams are mostly water. Thought I'd pass that along. We got our Easter eggs for dying too.

While shopping, we ran into a friend who had been in a horrible truck-pedestrian accident (yep, he was the pedestrian). The accident was New Year's Eve, and he's doing remarkably better. My son works at Quality too, but he was already gone for the day. I love shopping there because as a neighborhood store, you get a chance to see so many friends and neighbors there.

Twenty minutes had easily passed. We checked out with $81 of much needed groceries and went back to the deli to pick up our za. It still wasn't ready. I waited in the car and played with Pandora on my Blackberry and texted my sister-in-law about a recipe of mine she wants, while Mathias went back into the deli.

Candy went home at 8 and we were left in the care of Josh ... who proceeded to rip our pizza when taking it out of the fireplace-oven. As you'll see in the picture, it looks like an amoeba and the toppings all shifted during the rip. He told Mathias that it was his bad and we could have the za for only $3.99. Or wait for a new one ...

When can you ever get a specialty pizza for $4, even though it was slightly damaged. It's going down in the pizza and wing blog as "the time we got the $4 pizza!!".

The Buffalo chicken wing pizza at Quality is an 8 out of 8 slice delicious masterpiece. It's by far the best concoction of it's kind. There are some challenges with the ordering and delivery time, so as long as you're flexible and understanding to expect the unexpected, you might end up with a $4 too!

Tonight, we're making our own pizza and Cajun chicken wings in honor of my Father, who passed away on March 31, 2000. He's the one who taught me to cook pizza from scratch and to cook in general, not my Mother. He never got to meet Mathias. So it'll be a special way for him and Mathias and me to connect. We'll take some pics and post another blog tomorrow. I hope we'll have some leftovers for breakfast too!

Oh, I should mention how delicious the Quality Buffalo chicken wing pizza was for breakfast today! And I probably should e-mail my sister-in-law that recipe now too before I forget ...

No comments:

Post a Comment