Saturday, March 21, 2009

Alfee's Pizza and Wings and a Winged Gargolye too!

CONSTANCE: Gotta love the marketing of the family pizza place ... nothing better than a good old fashioned flyer placed on the porch. Seriously, that's what cinched the deal to go to Alfee's last Friday. The menu was pretty expansive. My turn to pick the pizza topping, and I picked cappicola. I wasn't sure what that was exactly, so Googled it before ordering (1). None of the other pizza establishments offered it so far.

Matt picked Cajun wings. And the wings came with Ranch dip and carrots and celery - no extra cost - how customer friendly is that?

The ambiance of Alfee's was pretty old school with an actual pinball machine. Mathias can tell you more about that. And post the pictures too when he adds to the blog.

And one of most memorable things to me was discovering a gargoyle on the way there. I got interested in gargoyles and grotesques about two years ago. And sometimes we'll just go on drives to take photos and have a gargoyle hunt. So the shocking thing was that this gargoyle was right on West 29th Street. On the way to my doctor's and dentist's office, my route to the East Side ... I've driven past it zillions of times and never noticed it before until Alfee's Pizza night when Mathias called it to my attention. The photo from my Blackberry got posted to my FaceBook page, but didn't import here. So I'll take it with the digital camera and post later. It's a huge one with lots of character. If you're like me you associate things in packages, so Alfee's will always be referred to as "remember the time we went to Alfee's and saw the gargoyle?"

Back to the pizza and wings though. We asked about specials when calling in our order, and like most places, got a large one-item pizza and 25 wings for the "expected $20" including tax. The crust was my favorite part and hand tossed. The wings were wet, but not too wet and very flavorful. Mathias said his favorite so far!! And my rating ... I'd say a 7 our of 8 slices.

The 411:

Alfee's Pizza Subs Wings
3001 Glenwood Park Ave.
866.6671

Another cool thing happened this week too. When we had eaten at My Dad's Pizza, Mathias entered my name to win a free pizza, and I won! So Tuesday night was bonus pizza night and we redeemed the free pizza. A new topping was tried - meatball ... and it was very delicious too.

Since we're blogging now for two weeks, I can tell you that Little Anthony's Pizza was our find last night. And I'm eating leftover pizza as I write to get in the spirit. You're invited to share a cup of vanilla-flavored coffee with me and read on ...


(1) Capicola, or coppa, is a traditional Neapolitan Italian cold cut (salume) made from pork shoulder or neck and dry-cured whole. The name coppa is Italian for nape, while capicola comes from capo—head and collo—neck of a pig. The Neapolitan Italian spelling, "'Capocollo'", is dervied from Latin, "caput collum". It is similar to the more widely known cured ham, Prosciutto, because they are both pork-derived cold-cuts that are used in similar dishes. However, the technical definition of ham is the thigh and buttocks of a pig (or boar) slaughtered for meat, whereas Capicola is solely meat from the shoulder or neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment