Saturday, January 10, 2009

ValPak Brought a Pizza Pasta Coupon; We've Never Been There!

JANUARY 9, 2009: Pizza Pasta (3018 State Street)

Constance: Even in the middle of a snow emergency, the pizza and wing blog must go on! Mathias drove for pick-up cause he's more fearless than me! (Mathias: she had a musket on me). Our coupon for $9.99 was for a medium 12" pizza with one topping and 10 wings. Mathias got to pick the topping, (Mathias: again, the thing with the musket) and rightfully so, he picked pineapple, his favorite! I picked the wings though. The conversation went like this: what kind of wings? I said ranch. What kind of ranch? Regular? Cajun ranch? Mmm, cajun ranch. Wet or dry? Wow, I remember when there were only 3 wing choices (mild, BBQ and hot!!). So dry cajun ranch. (Mathias: Who's on first?)

I looooved the wings! They were absolutely perfection. Nose dripping hot, but not too unreasonable. Crispy, flavorful ... incredible! (Mathias: Constance did, in fact, wipe her nose after each bite; she is dutifully devoted to etiquette).

The pizza didn't do it for me though. I should mention that my stomach was a little creepy from something I ate earlier in the day though. The cheese was really delicious. The crust was the typical bakery style pizza crust. The sauce was uneventful, except I did like the oregano tang! I managed to eat three small pieces. I picked the ones with extra cheese and few pineapples since I know that's Matthias' genre. And he could have my extra slice for breakfast since he loved this pizza better than I did. (Mathias: and I did have it for a midnight snack as Constance has a habit of getting up in the middle of the night to churn butter; since I was awoken, I figured I'd finish off the pizza).

My rating for the wings would be 8 slices and for the pizza, we're only on week two here, so I don't know how my scale will be developing, but I'm going to give it 2 slices, and I would definitely go back for wings, but probably not the pizza, even with a coupon. (What Constance failed to mention was the item she ate earlier that upset her was a Ring-Ding from 2002 she found in the pantry. With that making it's way through "the system", the pizza had an uphill climb. I thought it was decent, the sauce was tasty and I'd give it 4 out of 8 slices. I might add the people at the pizza joint were really nice and easy to chat it up with. Sometimes when I'm in full Amish garb, I get some stares and under the breath commentary, but not here.)

Oh, I admire their marketing too. They have a loyalty card to accumulate purchases for a reward and they also cross-promoted another business on the pizza box, Sam Catania Painting, perhaps another business owned by the family?

Forgot to mention the wait time ... 45 minutes in a snow emergency. Kinda on my long side of tolerance, but not unreasonable. And it was ready when we got there, and I had the warmth of the pizza on my lap on the drive home ...

No comments:

Post a Comment