Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Porky's: Best $14 Ever Spent

Constance: I began my quest at about noon last Friday as I asked FaceBook friends if anyone knew about the new(er) pizza place down on West 8th Street. Everyone thought I meant Pizza Joe's which had recently moved. But I meant the place owned by policemen. My friend Vik came through - she works in the area and said I was looking for Porky's at 8th and Myrtle, northwest corner. She vouched for me how good their lunches are - good enough for me! (Mathias: the cops are always busting my chops about the horse and outfit-can't we all just get along?)

So, my turn to pick the wings this week and Mathias' turn to pick the topping. Mathias called and asked about any specials d'jour (Mathias: that's Amish for "what can I get for the change I found in the barn?)... as luck would have it, they had a phone special for a medium, one topping pizza and ten wings for $14. Thirty minutes later, a hot pizza on my lap, we headed home and were excited with our latest discovery.

We opened the box. The pizza reminded me of Luchetti's - thin crust, and little pepperoni saucers curled from cooking. The steam rose ... it looked fantastic and smelled even better. Sounds picture perfect, doesn't it? We were so consumed from the presentation and smell and didn't even remember to take a photo. We thought of taking an after photo of the empty plate and wing bones ....

Speaking of the wings?

Cranch should be a new addition in the dictionary ... Cajun + ranch = yummiliscious as my Florida niece would put it. They were dry and I went for the wings first. They even threw in a side container of ranch dipping sauce, included in the price.

I carefully balanced between wings and pizza and when my 5 fair-share wings were gone, I thought about swapping with Mathias for some of his wing quantity, but the pizza was just too good and I didn't want to do that either. So needless to say, there were no leftovers for Saturday a.m. spoiling.

Porky's is getting my highest review yet - 8 of 8 slices!! I highly recommend it. Here's the 411: (Mathias: Constance thinks she's a cop).

Porky's Pizzeria
302 West 8th
454-5000

I don't know where we will be headed this Friday but I'm already calling shotgun as there's nothing like a hot pizza on your lap on a cold winter's evening. If you have any suggestions as your read our blog, let us know. Places to try? Things to add as we blog? I'd like to start asking each establishment about their "signature" items too. Who will our next 8 out of 8 slice place be ... promise to write as the Saturday morning leftovers are enjoyed (if there are any that is!!).

Mathias: Because of the impending super bowl and defeat of the Steelers, we feel it would sooth the ultimate shame of Pittsburghers if we got a pizza and wings deal from Steel City on Peach street. Hear it first: Arizona cardinals in an upset, 23 - 20. Don't mess with the Amish of Arizona!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment