Saturday, January 10, 2009

Valkyrie and Luchetti's ... My Happy Place

JANUARY 2, 2009: Luchetti's Pizza

Constance: To start things off right, I thought it would be best to start at the top. That meant Luchetti's Pizza to me. I'm originally from Sharon, and grew up with the thick crust of Plaza Pizza, so Erie's Luchetti's crust took some getting used to. And after living in Erie 23 years, I'm a HUGE fan!

We both had time off from work with the holiday, so we went to a Valkyrie matinee followed by Luchetti's. As we start the blog, we're going to use coupons along the way to save as much money as possible on our 52-week adventure. So, we found a coupon from one of the phone books for a large pizza with one topping.

Each week we're going to trade off who gets to pick the topping, so I picked one of my favs, sausage. Luchetti's has a crumbled sausage too, versus some places where they slice sausage like pepperoni.

The wait time for a holiday Friday was 20-30 minutes ... pretty reasonable and perfect distance to get there from Tinseltown. Matt went in for pick-up since my brother just called me on cell. I don't like to be one of "those" loud cell talkers in public places unless I have to!

The pizza was ready on time, and let me tell you, there's nothing like the warmth of a fresh pizza on your lap in 20 degree weather to warm up on the drive home!

Well, my foreshadowing earlier on in this post has already tipped this eater's review of the pizza I'm sure. Still my favorite. Thin, crispy crust. Unique sauce with a mix of spices that add layer upon layer add to a taste explosion in my mouth, and really luscious cheese and crumbled sausage. I ate three pieces to save one for breakfast.

I'd give Luchetti's Pizza and 8 out of 8 slice review! And the extra slice for breakfast the next day - served at fridge temp, did not disappoint! The only sad thing is having to wait a whole year before going back, unless we have pizza twice in a week. That sounds like a plan!

Mathias: Woah, how can I follow that? I'm one of few words and some of my favorites are 'nefarious', 'pragmatic' and 'go to hell'.

I came to Luchetti's later in life, having been raised on Erie's east (worst?) side and never dared dream of crossing the implied border of State Street. I was raised on Pizza Plus, DiMichael's (you old ones may remember that place on East 26th and East Avenue) and grade school pizza from Holy Family. As I recall, aside from the nefarious mental abuses suffered at the hands of loving nuns, the old ladies in the school cafeteria made some hellaciously good pizza. However, it's not pragmatic to review that place as the nun wanna-be's are probably six feet under anyway. Oh, by the way, Sister Salasia, go to hell. There-worked all my favorite words into my review.

Anyway, Luchetti's is probably known for staying open late, coupons, wings by the pound not the quantity and its thin crust pizza. I discovered thin crust a bit ago and use it as an excuse for my diet violations ("At least it's not thick crust!"). My Amish girlfriend Constance really loves the place and the sausage pizza and I've come to like it myself. The pizzas are pretty big, always have a good taste and are a welcome sight at 4 in the morning when I pull a slice out of the fridge for a midnight snack. I'm keen to more sauce than they put on, but until I open my own place, I should just be quiet, especially since Constance used her horse-shoeing money to pay for the stuff.

I'd give the place 6 slices out of 8 (and I'll eat the other 2 for breakfast the next morning).

No comments:

Post a Comment