Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Valerio's is always great!






Constance: I called shotgun to have the hot pizza on my lap for the ride home. (Mathias: I see a trend here). WEEK THREE: I got to pick the topping for our pizza at Valerio's. I drive by Valerio's at 32nd and Pittsburgh Avenue at least three times a day on the way to and from work and errands, so it's like a Point-of-Sale subliminal advertising message for me.

It was another snowy night and for a Friday night, during peak hours it was only going to be a 30 minute wait (hey, like Domino's, remember the Noid?) (Mathias: we had Noids back on the Beet farm but my brother Leviticus chased them down with the sythe) till our pizza and wings would be ready. Good thing because I was starving!

So bring on the banana peppers for our pizza. Mathias picked the wings - Mississippi Stingers - Booya! (Mathias: We Amish aren't allowed to cuss, so that's the extent of my potty mouth). We used a coupon for ValPak for about $16 for a large 1-item pizza and 20 wings. We'll get more precise with the details when we get into the routine of writing more timely about our pizza and wing blog.

The pizza was great - I left slices for breakfast the next day. Wish they would have had jalapenos but the banana peppers were suitable. The wings were as Mathias would say, "ooey-gooey" but not too messy. The flavor is like a store brand emulation of Quaker Steak and Lube's Louisiana Lickers (remember, this girl's from Sharon - home of the original, and spoiled by it too!) but the wings were really good too. I've been on a dry kick lately, so I liked that they were just right - not too wet and not totally dry. I ate the wings first and carefully counted out my 10 to be fair. Mathias went for the pizza first. Probably says something about who liked what best!

I will say that Valerio's pizza is great the morning after. I don't even heat it up - just cold, straight from the box. (Mathias: Constance still hasn't figured out the microwave yet)

My rating? I'd say a 6-1/2 out of 8 slices. You just can't go wrong with Valerio's. Side bar: great lunch specials too - must try the rigatoni with salad (hold the chick peas and olives) with their house Italian dressing - did I mention they're a block from my work?

No comments:

Post a Comment