Saturday, February 14, 2009

Yes, they're back!! Pio's ...



Constance: I was so excited when we heard that Pio's was open again to have their pizza and wings for our blog. I guess they had a fire in the fall and many people don't realize they're open again. So hope this blog can help spread the word. I imagine all of the struggles they went through without the business income and rebuilding ... but that's one of the things I love about Erie, the sense of community. And the dining room was packed last night, supporting one of Erie's own.

We couldn't find a Pio's coupon, so when I called I asked if there were any specials going one. That's one thing about doing this blog - I've learned that if you just ask about specials they usually have something going on.

$18.99 - large pepperoni pizza and 10 wings. The decision was made for me and my topping week, and Mathias picked Cajun wings. I called shotgun and got the hot pizza on my lap for the ride home.

We had received a comment last week about Pio's offering rye crust. I'd never even heard of that, so we definitely tried that too. We picked up a menu too, and they also offer wheat crust too.

The rye is dark rye and at first glance looked burnt. But wow, it was to die for. Not too overbearing. Sometimes I'll sneak the pups a piece of crust (they love pizza and wing nights too!) ... but not last night, it was too good to share!

The wings were dry and crispy, the way I love them! I wanted more than my 5 allotted, but it's probably good portion control with the 10 wing piece order. They came with ranch dip too - BONUS, and no extra fee. That was a nice surprise!

And we each saved a piece for leftovers. What a great way to start Valentine's Day - with the one you love and leftover pizza with rye crust. This should be our Valentine's Day tradition.

Speaking of traditions, every SuperBowl, we're going to smash an old HP Printer to commemorate this year's SuperBowl when I spent 12 hours on the phone with tech support in India trying to install my new HP wireless printer - which still doesn't work wirelessly (is that a word?). Not too bitter ...

My slice rating? I'd give a 7 out of 8 ... my favorite touches were the rye crust and the cheese ... and the bonus ranch dip with the wings.

Welcome back Pio's and I'm proud to live in a community where we support our local businesses!!

The 411:

Pio's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
Since 1970
815 East Avenue
Erie, PA

Ph: 456-8866

What did you think Matthias?

Matthias: I'm playing fact checker today and will add my comments later. As for the question about the Reuben Pizza - Pio's has a Gourmet Specialty Pizza called 'Lila's Reuben Pizza'; it's a Black rye shell topped with their own sauce, juicy sauerkraut, lean corned beef, mozzarella cheese and crispy dill pickles. I am not making that up-seems it's a favorite of people. I cannot fathom why (I abhor sauerkraut).

2 comments:

  1. Do they offer a reuben pizza to go with the rye crust? That would be Yummiliscious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I please get a copy of that menu? I realize they're closed but for nostalgic purposes...

    ReplyDelete