Saturday, February 7, 2009

Time for East Side Respect! Stevo's Pizza!



Mathias: OK, I'm going to blog first because Constance is spinning some wool from a thing we found in the street this morning. I think it's a collection of dog hair but Constance believes it's the Devil Incarnate. In either case, it's ugly.

So Friday night rolled around and we decided to pay some respect to Erie's east side, but just barely. We chose Stevo's Pizza, located at 1019 State Street. The place was featured in Erie Life Magazine this month. Here's the link: www.erielifemagazine.com/issues/2009-february/food-we-love.php . However, the online version doesn't have the write up.

I pinned Constance two out of three times in Greco-Roman wrestling so I got to pick the topping and this time, it was ham because they don't have mutton as a choice. She won our traditional Friday Night knife fight so she got to pick the wing flavor and chose Cajun Ranch because she used to work for Bubba Gump Shrimp down in the Gulf of Mexico off of Louisiana during spring break and got addicted to that flavor.

In any event, we had a coupon that got us a large cheese and ham and 20 Cajun ranch wings for just $18 bones. Pretty standard price for the area. After doing some doughnuts and fishtails with our supped-up horse and buggy in the Liberty Plaza, we evaded the ensuing chase from Erie's finest and headed down State.

Ok, the place inside is pretty big and had to take a shuttle bus to get from the door to the counter. Seems it used to be a restaurant called the Stafford back in the 20's. After elbowing our way to the front and chatting it up with the man in charge, we caught the shuttle back to the door and our double parked horse and buggy.

I'm of the opinion the pizza was one of the better ones we've had so far. It was a standard crust and reminded me of the pizza from Pizza Boy at the Mall back in the 80's. The cheese was tasty and sharp and the ham wasn't salty or nasty. The crust was chewy as opposed to crunchy. I might add the pizza was well sliced; it was easy to pull apart as opposed to others whereby you need to bring out the Black and Decker to cut apart. I'm giving it a hearty Amish 6.5 out of 8 slices.

Constance: The wings were good. I am not as funny as Mathias this a.m. so continue reading knowing this. I eat one thing at a time (always have and not too many people know this about me), so I started with the wings first last night. The bones on the side of my plate kept track of my fair share and 10 came too quickly. Crispy and flavorful ... mmmm!! They were not as Cajun-y as some of our other places, but had the right crisp to meat ratio going on.

I loved the pizza too. The ham was really nice, especially since Mathias almost picked mutton or pineapple. The cheese was really tasty. I loved that we had extra for breakfast this a.m.

Stevo's was the most interesting place we had been to in terms of building and history. Imagine getting a cup of coffee for only a penny and pancakes for 3 cents. They have the menu in the back, all you have to do is ask.

My rating ... 6 out of 7.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Guys- Love this blog! I live vicariously through you both. My man and I are always on the quest for the perfek p/w combo. May I request that you flip a coin some night and if Eli's would win, blog on. We always talk about going there but are too intimidated by the something like 25,000 wing flavors. Counting on you both! IB TLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. State Street is the "East side"??? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try Eli's ... maybe this Friday - thanks for the suggestion!!

    And to Dan, since I'm not from Erie, I guess Erie-ites have always said that State Street divides the city. And Stevo's was on the east side of the street. I can't wait to get to Pio's. I used to live by their location and they've reopened since the fire. Any other suggestions would be cool - thanks for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eastside fresh dough (my preference having been born & Bred in NY!) places to try:
    Jimmy Z's in Wesleyville. My Dad's Pizza (excellent wings as well) & Sidelines Sports bar in Harborcreek. Angelea's in the Eastway Plaza in Harborcreek has the best shell (pre baked crust) style pizza in Erie, plus there's always coupons in the phone book. Irish Cousin's tavern in Lawrence Park has good fresh douh pie and very good wings. The best wings on this side of town are from the Park Tavern on East Lake Rd. in Lawrence Park...awesome. Jimmy Z's wings are a close 2nd. Pio's pizza is good (shell style) and they have a rye crust to choose from.
    Happy Eating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is awesome! I love P/W combos and am always hunting for the best deals.
    Valerios has gotten too pricey in my opinion, but they have such good food as you already know.
    Jimmy Z's is amazing! Tuesday special.. XL cheese and 1 item is like $6 and it is huge!Wings are so so.
    Lucky Man's on West 12th street is another favorite.. they have thick or thin crust, much better then Luchetti's but that's just my opinion.
    Keep up the good work.. looking forward to the next review.

    ReplyDelete