Saturday, July 25, 2009

We Met "The Ugly Cousin" at Odis 12 ...





CONSTANCE:
You know you're getting older when you go into a bar and see your son's friends there - legally and all! What the heck, I texted my son and invited him to come over too; afterall Odis's is the place where everyone knows your name and he lives right across the street. He was sleeping though, getting ready for third shift.

Having heard that Odis 12 was a major winner of 2009 Erie's Best Wing Cook Off, we were excited to try the best non-traditional wing in Erie - The Ugly Cousin. What a crazy name and what a crazy combination of flavors too! I wasn't aware that they had pizza either, so was surprised and glad that we could get our weekly blog za and wings from the same place. Mathias found online coupons on the Odis 12 Web site (the URL is under the 411 below), so a large one item pizza (Mathias picked ham as our topping) and The Ugly Cousin was a no-brainer for wings. $19 with a $2 tip - nice price! Extremely competitive.

We had to wait longer than our 35 minutes promised wait time. Probably about 50 minutes; however, the bartender/server was very gracious and apologetic as she explained interim power outages delayed our food. We were starving by the time we got home.

The wings were incredible and yep, I had 10 in one sitting!! Crispy. Sweet, sour, tangy with a chaser of hot twang - wow ... I'd say probably my favorite so far. I know I've been saying this every week, but this week I really mean it!

The za wasn't hand-tossed crust so I was being all high maintenance skeptical about it, but that changed after the first bite. The cheese was delicious. The ham was real and not lunch-meat type. The sauce was familiar too. Not necessarily original tasting, but very memorable. I loved the Odis 12 pizza.

What a great discovery, and they're basically down the street from me too! You have to move Odis 12's to the top of your list and try them soon ... and ask for The Ugly Cousin! 8 outta 8 slice review in this wing beauty contest - enjoy!

The 411:

Odis 12 Bar & Grille
Mike Miodus
664 West 26th Street
Erie Pa, 16508
814.452.6347

http://odis12.com/

1 comment:

  1. I've been curious about the ugly cousin... thanks for reviewing. Oh, and I had to wait much longer than my stated time, too. They didn't claim power outage, though. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete